October 29th, 2013: Version 1.6.3 released
May 17th, 2013: Version 1.6.2 released
Welcome to SALI!
SALI is a acronym for SURFsara Automatic Linux Installation and is widely used on our systems:
SURFsara formerly used SystemImager for automatic installation of our machines. Due to new hardware we needed more up to date drivers and GRUB2 support. We thought this could be easily added, but during this process we decided to upgrade all software to the newest levels and replace some key software components. The biggest hurdle is detecting which hardware is in the system (udev). We believe that SALI is better in detecting which hardware components are available in the system than SystemImager due to more up to date udev version.
The main focus for development of SALI is:
- The SALI kernel/initrd contains all kernel modules and software utilities. In SystemImager this software is distributed as a separate package (BOEL binaries).
- We have switch monolithic installation script to a UNIX like runlevel setup. To avoid kernel panics.
- Support for more installation protocols such as ftp, http, bittorrent
The documentation is far from perfect. We have to write reorganize this section. Contributions or suggestions are appreciated
Existing bugs and feature requests for sali are here.
There are also 2 mailing lists:
You can grab the tarball from our ftp site:
- NOTE: lot of options are disabled. So this can be used for embedded systems. Use x86_64 SALI build to install modern i386/i686 systems.
- sali-ppc64.tar.gz (final version is 1.5.2).
You can browse the current code here:
Or you can check out code through subversion:
- Release tree: svn co https://oss.trac.surfsara.nl/sali/svn/tags
- Development tree: svn co https://oss.trac.surfsara.nl/sali/svn/trunk
Authors / Contributers
- Bas van der Vlies
- Dennis Stam
- Michel Scheerman
- PPC64 development and testing
- The author of the SALI xCAT plugin
 by dennis on 2015/01/22 12:37:34
Trying to use eudev (udev 217)
 by dennis on 2015/01/22 11:21:12
 by dennis on 2015/01/22 10:40:22
 by dennis on 2015/01/22 10:39:42
Update CHANGELOG before tagging last 1.6.x release
 by dennis on 2015/01/22 10:35:53
Updating trunk from 1.6 branch
 by dennis on 2015/01/17 18:20:15
Need to redirect /dev/null to the file!
SALI xCAT plugin
Currently we are investigating the possibilities to use SALI with xCAT.
First SALI is used to restore the machine with an image. Then xCAT is used to finalize the installation. In our setup the installation time of 55 minutes is reduced to 15 minutes.
We have tested this on a Power 6 machine with SLES 11.
The xCAT module can be found in the contrib directory.